New Orleans Saints quarterback Derek Carr is expected to start against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers despite his shoulder injury, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.
If Carr does suffer a setback, Jameis Winston would get the start for the Saints.
Winston was fine in Week 3, completing 10-of-16 passes for 101 yards, but the team failed to score following Carr’s exit.
With Carr in the lineup, the Saints are in a good spot to return to their winning ways this week.
Derek Carr injury status for Week 4 game against Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Carr is listed as questionable for Week 4 against Tampa Bay, but he is expected to play.
Best bet for Saints vs. Buccaneers with Derek Carr injured
Even with Carr expected to play in this game, I think it could be a defensive battle since he'll be at less than 100 percent.
The Saints did not score a point after Carr exited early in the second half in Week 3, blowing a 17-0 lead to the Green Bay Packers. Meanwhile, the Buccaneers have not been a great offense either.
Tampa Bay is just 23rd in the NFL in yards per play this season, and now it has to take on a team that is No. 6 in opponent yards per play on defense. If Carr isn't his usual self, I can't see the New Orleans offense putting up a huge showing.
No matter how you bet on this game, DraftKings Sportsbook has a great offer for new users. If you sign up with the link below, you’ll receive $200 in bonus bet and an additional $150 in no-sweat bets if you place a $5 wager.
Derek Carr injury history
- Sept. 2014: Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 – did not miss a game
- Sept. 2015: Hand Thumb Sprain – returned for following game
- Nov. 2016: Hand Finger Fracture – did not miss a game
- Dec. 2016: Leg Fibula Fracture – missed rest of season
- Oct. 2017: Back Vertebral Fracture – missed one game
- Sept. 2023: Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain – left Week 3
When is Derek Carr coming back?
It looks like Carr will at least give it a shot to play in Week 4. The Saints take on the New England Patriots in Week 5.
New Orleans Saints next 5 opponents
- New England Patriots, Sunday, Oct. 8
- Houston Texans, Sunday, Oct. 15
- Jacksonville Jaguars, Thursday, Oct. 19
- Indianapolis Colts, Sunday, Oct. 29
- Chicago Bears, Sunday, Nov. 5
New Orleans Saints injury report
- Derek Carr – Questionable
- Paulson Adebo – Out
- Cesar Ruiz – Out
- Jordan Howden – Out
- Foster Moreau – Questionable
Tampa Bay Buccaneers injury report
- Devin White – Questionable
- Carlton Davis – Questionable
- Jamel Dean – Out
- Derrek Pitts – Out
- Calijah Kancey – Out
- Vita Vea – Questionable
- SirVocea Dennis – Out
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.
Find Peter Dewey's betting record here.