After a productive draft and the addition of two prominent ex-LSU players, the New Orleans Saints look like a team with true Super Bowl aspirations for the upcoming season.
The upcoming minicamp and preseason will allow Dennis Allen and company ample opportunity to decide who deserves to be on the 53-man roster once the New Orleans Saints‘ season starts in September. As of now, there are 45 players who appear to be locks to make the final roster.
At quarterback, Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, and Ian Book fall into that category. Winston and Dalton are no-brainers and Book probably makes it as the third quarterback in case one of those guys gets hurt.
At running back, Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram are going to make the team. Obviously there will be another running back or two to make the cut but those two are the only guarantees. Adam Prentice will find his way onto the team as the fullback.
As for the rest of the offense, five wide receivers will make the cut for sure, as Michael Thomas, Chris Olave, Jarvis Landry, Marquez Callaway, and Deonte Harty are going to be on the roster. Adam Trautman, Taysom Hill, and Nick Vannett will make it in the tight end spot. Ryan Ramczyk, Cesar Ruiz, Erik McCoy, Andrus Peat, Trevor Penning, James Hurst, and Calvin Throckmorton are locks to be on the offensive line depth chart.
Defensive and special teams locks look something like this:
- DL (8) – Cam Jordan, David Onyemata, Shy Tuttle, Marcus Davenport, Payton Turner, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Carl Granderson, Kentavious Street
- LB (4) – Demario Davis, Pete Werner, Kaden Elliss, D’Marco Jackson
- CB (4) – Marshon Lattimore, Paulson Adebo, Bradley Roby, Alontae Taylor
- S (5) – Marcus Maye, Tyrann Mathieu, C.J. Gardner-Johnson, P.J. Williams, J.T. Gray
- ST (3) – Wil Lutz, Zack Wood, Blake Gillikin
This leaves only eight open roster spots with a plethora of talented players left for the Saints personnel decision-makers to choose from. Let’s take a closer look at who is likely to grab those last coveted spots.