As much as the Saints won this game, it really had more to do with the Bears losing this game:
- Wide receiver Javon Wims dropped an easy 50-yard touchdown catch
- They had nine penalties, including multiple key penalties in the red zone
- They converted just one of ten third downs for a first down
- They had a run-heavy approach and didn’t even try for a two-minute drill at the end of the first half
- Receiver Anthony Miller got ejected for punching Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
- Mitch Trubisky ran out of bounds on fourth down
These are not the types of actions would expect from a playoff team, which, in reality, the Bears were not fundamentally. They went just 8-8, had a negative point-differential, and went just 1-6 against teams with a winning record in the regular season.
In a way, this a freebie for the Saints, which is kind of fitting considering #2 seeds used to receive first-round byes. Against the Bucs, they won’t be able to exploit a team’s mistakes like they were able to do against the Bears.