In anticipation for the first preseason game against the New England Patriots, the New Orleans Saints have released their first UNOFFICIAL team depth chart.
Here’s the team’s depth chart, and any players italicized are on the PUP/NFI list. It’s worth noting that you can’t read too much into this, but can’t help notice some players are higher on the chart than others.
Wide Receiver: Brandon Coleman, Michael Thomas, Hakeem Nicks, R.J. Harris, Jared Dangerfield, Jordan Williams-Lambert
Left Tackle: Andrus Peat, Tony Hills, Joseph Cheek, Terron Armstead
Left Guard: Senio Kelemete, Kaleb Eulls, Landon Turner
Center: Max Unger, Jack Allen, Marcus Henry
Right Guard: Tim Lelito, Cyril Lemon, Jordan Walsh
Right Tackle: Zach Strief, Andrus Peat, Tyrus Thompson, John Fullington, Avery Young
Tight End: Coby Fleener, Josh Hill, Michael Hoomanawanui, RaShaun Allen, Chris Manhertz, Garrett Griffin
Wide Receiver: Brandin Cooks, Willie Snead, Tommylee Lewis, Reggie Bell, Jake Lampman
Quarterback: Drew Brees, Luke McCown, Garrett Grayson
Running Back: Mark Ingram, Tim Hightower, C.J. Spiller, Marcus Murphy, Travaris Cadet, Daniel Lasco
Fullback: John Kuhn, Sione Houma, Austin Johnson
- Brandon Coleman is listed as the starting wide receiver opposite of Brandin Cooks.
- Andrus Peat is the team’s starting left tackle while Terron Armstead recovers.
- Senio Kelemete put as the starting left guard, while Tim Lelito is the starting right guard (where Peat would likely fall).
- Tim Hightower is listed as Mark Ingram‘s primary backup, which isn’t a shock. C.J. Spiller has been No. 3 for a while, and is a totally different running back from the others.
- John Kuhn is immediately placed as the team’s starting fullback.
Left Defensive End: Kasim Edebali, Obum Gwacham, Davis Tull
Left Defensive Tackle: Tyeler Davison, John Jenkins, Ashaad Mabry
Right Defensive Tackle: Sheldon Rankins, Nick Fairley, David Onyemata, C.J. Wilson
Right Defensive End: Cameron Jordan, Bobby Richardson, Matt Shaughnessy, Darryl Tapp
Weak Side Linebacker: Dannell Ellerbe, Nate Stupar, Tony Steward
Middle Linebacker: James Laurinaitis, Craig Robertson, Jeff Schoettmer
Strong Side Linebacker: Stephone Anthony, Michael Mauti, Dillon Lee, Hau’oli Kikaha
Left Cornerback: Delvin Breaux, Damian Swann, De’Vante Harris, Jimmy Pruitt, Brandon Dixon
Strong Safety: Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper, Trae Elston
Free Safety: Jairus Byrd, Vonn Bell, Erik Harris, Jamal Golden
Right Cornerback: P.J. Williams, Ken Crawley, Brian Dixon, Keenan Lewis
- Kasim Edebali opens as the starting edge pass-rusher opposite of Cameron Jordan.
- Tyeler Davison and Sheldon Rankins are the team’s starting interior linemen.
- P.J. Williams is the team’s starting cornerback opposite of Delvin Breaux, and Keenan Lewis is listed way down at the bottom. Again, you can’t read that much into it, as the New Orleans Saints are going to be cautious with the veteran.
Punter: Thomas Morstead
Kicker: Kai Forbath (or) Connor Barth
Kickoff Specialist: Thomas Morstead, Kai Forbath
Long Snapper: Justin Drescher
Holder: Thomas Morstead
Punt Returner: Travaris Cadet, Marcus Murphy, Jairus Byrd
Kick Returner: Travaris Cadet, Marcus Murphy, C.J. Spiller
- As I hinted earlier in my roster projection on Sunday, Travaris Cadet handles returning duties right now.
- It’s interesting that the New Orleans Saints have Kai Forbath or Connor Barth at kicker.