Remembering the New Orleans Saints’ miraculous game against Redskins in 2009


In 2015 there surely isn’t much to brag about so far, as the New Orleans Saints are struggling to get back to a .500 record. This week, against the Washington Redskins, head coach Sean Payton and company are looking to bring back some of the magic that they had in 2009. Let me take you back to a magical day in Washington D.C., December 6, 2009.

The New Orleans Saints came in red hot with an 11-0 record against a lackluster 3-9 Redskins team. I would bet that many Saints fans will remember this game once I set it up. The Redskins surprisingly came out playing tough with quarterback Jason Campbell running the offense.

The Skins were no doubt up for the task as the game was tied 17-17 at the halfway point after a freak scoring play for the Saints before the half.  I think we all remember when Drew Brees threw that interception and wide receiver Robert Meachem stripped the ball out of Kareem Moore‘s hands and ran it back for a touchdown.  It was a miraculous play and a time that many Saints fans realized what the destiny was for their team that year.

Campbell would eventually throw his third touchdown to go up 24-17.  The Redskins looked to be in total control as Campbell added another couple of scoring drives that would give Washington two more field goals to go up 30-23, with the Saints adding six points within that span.

More from Saints News

It would seem that the winning streak that the Saints had compiled all year was soon to be over, as the Skins lined up for a 23-yard chip shot field goal from Shaun Suisham. He was a perfect 3-3 for the day. Amazingly enough, he pushed it wide right. I’m sure everyone in that stadium knew that the Saints were simply going to make a run, which they did.

The Saints backed up near their 20-yard line, made a 33-second drive for pay dirt. Brees found Meachem for a 53-yard game-tying touchdown to make it 30-30. The contest then went into overtime, and the Redskins won the toss. They had the ball at the 37-yard line when Mike Sellers fumbled the rock into the Saints’ hands. The play was originally marked down, but Sean Payton took a timeout which led to a review. The call once again went in the Saints’ favor. They marched right on down to about the 2-yard line, when Garrett Hartley kicked an 18-yard field goal to seal the victory.

The rest of the season was oh so glorious. The New Orleans Saints would do the impossible and win their first Super Bowl that year. It’s good to reminisce about the good times in the Big Easy. It was the year the Black and Gold proved all the doubters wrong. They simply became ‘America’s Team’ that year. We can only hope that some of that magic can be used for the rest of 2015. If the dream is to stay alive, New Orleans must once again take care of business against the Washington Redskins this Sunday.