Updated New Orleans Saints 53-man roster prediction: Injuries shift defense
By John Hendrix
We’re almost down to the final 53-man roster for the New Orleans Saints. After the club’s initial cuts yesterday, things are becoming clearer on what the 2015 squad will look like. Or, are they? Naturally, injuries are a cause for concern, especially with the recent news of Keenan Lewis reportedly having hip surgery.
With one preseason game to go, I’m giving you my very best prediction (perhaps my final) as to what the New Orleans Saints roster will look like once final cuts are made. The defense sees the majority of the changes in my latest projection.
New players, both rookies and free agents, are denoted in bold.
The ‘Nearly There’ New Orleans Saints 53-man roster prediction
After initial cuts, it’s clear to see the favorites on offense. However, the defense figures to be the most challenging aspect of this all.
Roster Battle Notes
- Of the players from yesterday’s cuts, I had Anthony Spencer, Vinnie Sunseri, and P.J. Williams on my previous final roster prediction.
- Nothing has changed from last prediction in terms of the offensive starters. However, keep a close watch on Josh Morgan. He could potentially threaten Joe Morgan, but we’ll need to wait and see how the game against the Packers goes.
- It was a bit concerning not seeing Ryan Griffin suit up against the Texans, but I still believe he has to be the frontrunner over Luke McCown. With Sean Payton being a former quarterback, don’t you think they would have showcased Griffin if they wanted to trade him or anything?
- The kicker battle between Dustin Hopkins and Zach Hocker is even currently, and it likely comes down to who hits their kicks against Green Bay. It’s a toss-up right now.
- Again, C.J. Spiller‘s uncertain status will yield way for having five running backs. Keep an eye out on what happens with Khiry Robinson.
- Something to watch for: Ashaad Mabry could be a potential replacement to Bobby Richardson.
- Given the Keenan Lewis injury, I believe that it means Kyle Wilson jumps on the final roster. The secondary can use a veteran presence there.
- With Vinnie Sunseri going down, I’m slotting Kenny Phillips to make the final roster over Jamarca Sanford. That could honestly go either way. If Jairus Byrd finds his way to the PUP list, then you can add both Phillips and Sanford.
How do you see the final roster playing out?
More from Who Dat Dish
- 3 takeaways from Saints unofficial depth chart ahead of preseason opener
- Saints 2022 Training Camp: Top 5 takeaways from Day 13
- 3 things to know about new Saints QB K.J. Costello
- Kirk Merritt could be a difficult player for the Saints to cut
- Kareem Hunt is an interesting trade prospect but should Saints go for it?