Nov 24, 2014; New Orleans, LA, USA; New Orleans Saints wide receiver Marques Colston (12) scores on a 26-yard catch against the Baltimore Ravens in the second quarter of their game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Mandatory Credit: Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports
With the New Orleans Saints and Baltimore Ravens set to clash on Thursday night in their opening preseason contest, it’s sure to draw a great deal of interest. The two met during the regular season last year, with the Ravens toppling the Saints on Monday Night Football 34-27 in the front of the Superdome crowd.
While it’s only been less than a year since their last meeting (November), strong connections still exist between the New Orleans Saints and Baltimore Ravens coaching staff, front office, and players. Let’s take a look.
Coaching/Front office connections
- Sean Payton, Joe Vitt, John Harbaugh, and Juan Castillo (Ravens O-Line coach) served on the same staff in Philadelphia.
- Juan Castillo’s son, Greg Castillo, serves as an intern in the New Orleans Saints player personnel department.
- Joe Vitt played linebacker at Towson State (Towson, MD) from 1974-77, and also served as a quality control coach on the Baltimore Colts from 1979-81.
- Rob Ryan and Don Martindale (Ravens linebackers coach) served on the same coaching staff in Oakland from 2004-08.
- Greg McMahon and Craig Ver Steeg (Senior offensive assistant) served on the same coaching staff at the University of Illinois from 1998-2000.
- Ravens East-Regional Scout Andy Weidl served on the New Orleans scouting staff from 2000-05, serving as a national combine scout from 2000-02 and as a northeast area scout from 2003-05.
- Area Scout Joey Vitt Jr. is a Towson native who also attended Towson.
- Bill Johnson coached Ravens player Elvis Dumervil in Denver. Rafael Bush and Dumervil were teammates on the Broncos in 2011.
- Dannell Ellerbe signed with the Ravens as an undrafted free agent in 2009 and played with them during his first four years. He helped the Ravens win Super Bowl XLVII as a starter.
- Ladarius Webb (Ravens safety) played college ball at Nicholls State and Southern Miss.
- Brandon Coleman prepped at Bishop McNamara in Forestville, MD, and was born in Accokeek, MD.
- Kenny Vaccaro and Justin Tucker (Ravens kicker) were college teammates at the University of Texas.
- Orson Charles, John Jenkins, Damian Swann, Marlon Brown (Ravens receiver), and DeAngelo Tyson (Ravens defensive end) were college teammates at the University of Georgia.
- Mark Ingram played with Courtney Upshaw (Ravens outside linebacker) at the University of Alabama.
- Austin Johnson played with Morgan Cox (Ravens long snapper) at the University of Tennessee.
- Cameron Jordan and Justin Forsett (Ravens running back) were college teammates at the University of California.
- Justin Drescher and Jimmy Smith (Ravens cornerback) were college teammates at the University of Colorado.
- Nick Toon and Rick Wagner (Ravens guard/tackle) were college teammates at the University of Wisconsin.
- Erik Lorig and Jeremy Zuttah (Ravens guard/center) were teammates with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2010-13. Zuttah and Kevin Brock were college teammates at Rutgers.
- Ravens cornerback Tramain Jacobs is from Folsom, LA and went to Covington High School from 2006-09. He also played at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College from 2010-11.
- R.J. Harris prepped at Arundel High School in Gambrills, MD.
- Marques Colston and Kyle Arrington (Ravens cornerback) were college
teammates at Hofstra. Ben Watson played with Arrington in New England.
The New Orleans Saints preseason is just two short days away, and the excitement is building with fans and media.
What connection between the New Orleans Saints and Baltimore Ravens surprised you the most?