Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you should all be familiar with the big transaction that stunned the Who Dat Nation on Wednesday — the New Orleans Saints announced their decision to release veteran running back Pierre Thomas.
With versatility, great ball skills and incredible awareness, the ‘PT Cruiser’ has been a staple in the Saints’ offense since joining the club as an undrafted free agent in 2007. The Illinois product was a crucial piece to the screen game and has been dominant as a short-yardage back for eight years now, often breaking tackles for the big gain.
Pierre Thomas has racked up 3,745 rushing yards (fourth in franchise history), 327 receptions (sixth) and 2,608 receiving yards (14th). He was rumored to be released along with the boatload of veterans in 2014, but worked out a deal with the team to preserve his talents in the Crescent City. He was one of the few remaining players remaining from the Saints’ historic Super Bowl run during the 2009-10 season.
Here’s a look at five standout plays from Pierre Thomas’ admirable career with the Black and Gold.
5. The eight-year veteran shows why he earned the nickname ‘PT Cruiser’ after plowing through countless Green Bay Packers defenders.
4. Pierre dominates for 27 yards to the end zone to help lead a Saints comeback win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
3. Thomas scores his second of two touchdowns in the NFC Championship game versus the Minnesota Vikings to put the Black and Gold on top. The Saints went on to win that night before notching their first and only Super Bowl win weeks later.
2. Pierre goes 38 yards on a screen pass to score the Saints’ first TD and his first of two during the NFC Championship game.
1. The PT Cruiser himself scores New Orleans’ first touchdown of Super Bowl XLIV on February 7, 2010. It was a 16-yard catch and run thrown by Drew Brees and the Saints’ first trip into the end zone of the game, which didn’t come until the second half. Of course, the Black and Gold went on to defeat the Indianapolis Colts, becoming world champions for the first and only time in franchise history.
Pierre Thomas has been one of the most efficient offensive players in the history of the New Orleans Saints organization. Through passion, charm, hard work and dedication both on and off the field, No. 23 is and always will be a legend in the Who Dat Nation.
More from Who Dat Dish
- 3 takeaways from Saints unofficial depth chart ahead of preseason opener
- Saints 2022 Training Camp: Top 5 takeaways from Day 13
- 3 things to know about new Saints QB K.J. Costello
- Kirk Merritt could be a difficult player for the Saints to cut
- Kareem Hunt is an interesting trade prospect but should Saints go for it?