Sep 28, 2014; Santa Clara, CA, USA; Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles (9) is chased down by San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aaron Lynch (59) during the fourth quarter at Levi
Week 5 NFL Power Rankings
Saints & Panthers sink; Texans, Cowboys, Ravens climb, Bengals rise to the Top
Just when you think you have the NFL figured out, they throw you a curve ball. We saw a lot of good and bad football this week. Who would honestly have thought that all three prime time matchups would have been so one-sided? It’s time for Week 5 NFL Power Rankings! Enjoy!
32. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-4) | Previous Ranking: 32
Still searching for their first victory of the season, and there was no way they were going to knock off the Chargers.
31. Oakland Raiders (0-4) | Previous Ranking: 31 (-1)
Things went from bad to worse in Oakland. Dennis Allen is out, Derek Carr got banged up, and there’s not much ‘hope’ right now for the Raiders.
30. New York Jets (1-3) | Previous Ranking: 29 (-1)
It’s just bad in New York, and we’re still sticking with Geno Smith.
29. Washington Redskins (1-3) | Previous Ranking: 28 (-1)
Kirk Cousins had a golden opportunity against the Giants, but he just looked terrible. The Redskins have major issues if this is how Cousins is going to play.
28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) | Previous Ranking: 29 (+1)
It was as shocking of a win as any for the Bucs, so how bout that upset?
27. St. Louis Rams (1-2) | Previous Ranking: 26 (-1)
If you built up your confidence during the bye week, it might have gone out the window now. They’ll play the Eagles on the road, who will seek to avenge their last lost.
26. Tennessee Titans (1-3) | Previous Ranking: 24 (-1)
Three straight losses, and the Titans aren’t looking good at all. They have a good chance to redeem themselves against the Browns this week, but they’re not an easy opponent.
25. Cleveland Browns (1-2) | Previous Ranking: 25
See my previous comments about the Titans. Don’t count out the Browns.
24. Minnesota Vikings (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 26 (+2)
Call the Falcons ‘Bridgewater’d’. Give a lot of credit to the Vikes for making mince meat of the Falcons.
23. New Orleans Saints (1-3) | Previous Ranking: 14 (-9)
There’s something very wrong in New Orleans, and while many believe this team could be 4-0 right now, the reality is that they aren’t remotely close to anything that would resemble that. The defense has been atrocious, play calling has been bad, and there’s no passion/fire coming from anyone.
22. Buffalo Bills (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 16 (-6)
They had the game, or did they? In the end, Ryan Fitzpatrick and his beard had the last laugh.
21. Carolina Panthers (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 12 (-9)
They didn’t show up. Period.
20. Miami Dolphins (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 22 (+2)
I’m not making too much out of the Phins beating the Raiders, who are one of the league’s worst right now. The team has the week off to prepare for their next opponent.
19. Kansas City Chiefs (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 22 (+3)
They picked apart Tom Brady, and they did it in a landslide-like fashion.
18. New York Giants (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 22 (+4)
Eli Manning looked brilliant on the night against the Redskins, and they can keep it going with a victory over the ailing Falcons.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 11 (-6)
Antonio Brown said it best, ‘We lost to one of NFL’s worst teams’. They’ll rebound this week against the Jags.
16. Indianapolis Colts (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 18 (+2)
This is more of what we expected from the Colts.
15. Atlanta Falcons (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 9 (-6)
They were supposed to win in Minnesota, but Bridgewater torched them in a bad way. Also, who’s playing offensive line for this team these days?
14. New England Patriots (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 6 (-4)
Second worst loss in the Belichick era. Are things starting to unravel in New England?
13. Chicago Bears (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 8 (-5)
Jay Cutler was completely off against the Packers, and it showed. They can redeem themselves with a win over the Panthers, but will have to do so on the road.
12. Green Bay Packers (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 13 (+1)
That was more like the Packers we expect. That was a huge win over the Bears, and Aaron Rodgers is catching some fire.
11. San Francisco 49ers (2-2) | Previous Ranking: 15 (+4)
Huge victory at home when many counted them out. Have things shifted out west?
10. Houston Texans (3-1) | Previous Ranking: 10 (+10)
Don’t even begin to tell me that you thought this team was going to start this way.
9. Dallas Cowboys (3-1) | Previous Ranking: 19 (+10)
Everyone’s jumping back on the bandwagon after a huge victory over the Saints. I’m waiting to see if they stay when December rolls around.
8. Baltimore Ravens (3-1) | Previous Ranking: 17 (+9)
That game went as expected, but that blowout though?
7. Detroit Lions (3-1) | Previous Ranking: 10 (+3)
They had a tough game on the road, and emerged victorious without Calvin Johnson blowing it up.
6. San Diego Chargers (3-1) Previous Ranking: 7 (+1)
So you killed the Jags, join the club. They should cruise over the Jets, but what happens when they play another team like the Seahawks?
5. Philadelphia Eagles (3-1) | Previous Ranking: 1 (-4)
They had a golden opportunity to beat the 49ers, but came up short. Nick Foles struggled, but the Eagles still are a good team.
4. Denver Broncos (2-1) | Previous Ranking: 5 (+1)
They’ll have an interesting matchup against the Cardinals, but they’ll have the advantage of playing at home. Their defense needs to step up.
3. Seattle Seahawks (2-1) | Previous Ranking: 4 (+1)
I’m not saying they’ll cruise to an easy victory over the Redskins this week, but you understand.
2. Arizona Cardinals (3-0) | Previous Ranking: 3 (+1)
They’ll have a tough matchup against the Broncos this week, don’t expect them to stay here.
1. Cincinnati Bengals (3-0) | Previous Ranking: 2 (+1)
Although they didn’t play this week, they’ll move into first – for now.
- Week 4 NFL Power Rankings
- Week 3 NFL Power Rankings
- Week 2 NFL Power Rankings
- Week 1 NFL Power Rankings
- 2014 NFL Power Rankings – Preseason
- 2014 NFL Power Rankings – Minicamp Edition
Like our list? Hate our list? Who would you change out, and why?