The Saints defense clearly out-performed the offense today totaling 5 sacks (6 by some reports) and two interceptions.
Let’s talk about the winners first:
- Junior Galette had sacks against the ones and the twos (not sure if this says more about Galette’s awesomeness or the Saints’ left tackles’ mediocrity, but today we’ll go with the former). Following his first sack was a tackle for loss (against the twos) and following his second sack (against the ones) was a QB pressure.
- Akiem Hicks ran with the twos at the nose today, getting to the quarterback twice. Both times he used a bull rush. Heading into his sophomore year, Hicks seems to be building on his success from last year.
- Kenny Vaccaro keeps showing why he was the Saints first round pick. No interceptions from the safety today, but he did manage to ruffle a few nancy-boy reporters’ feathers by bringing the wood in a live action scrimmage.
- In a post-scrimmage interview, after letting us all know the difficulties of being a fat guy on the sidelines, Rob Ryan patted himself on the back when asked about the performance of Chris Carr (1 INT, 2 passes defensed) “I called that one,” and praised Carr’s smarts by saying, “He’s so smart. I think he’s gonna be a lawyer or doctor – or both – when he’s done.” Looks like Carr was a smart veteran pick up.
- Khiry Robinson ran over Keenan Lewis, reminding fans of former running back Chris Ivory (currently riding a stationary bike for the Jets) and has solidified his role in continuing the annual Saints fan “running back pissing contest”.
- Ingram had 6 carries for 23 yards and a TD. Pierre Thomas looked like his usual self with 3 carries for 28 yards (long: 15) and 1 catch for 15 yards. Sproles converted a third-and-short early in the day but sources tell me he spent the rest of the scrimmage lounging in the shade finding clouds that looked like animal shapes.
- Rookie OLB Eric Martin forced an Ingram fumble, snot-bubbled Cadet on kick coverage and may or may not have had a sack today.
Not sure if there were really any “losers” based on reports but these things happened:
- Charles Brown got beat like a drum by Junior Galette and gave up a sack.
- Armstead wasn’t much better, giving up two sacks (Galette and Richardson).
- The first team secondary forgot to cover Chris Givens on a deep ball, although Jabari Greer made up for it by dropping an interception in the end zone which got the defense off the field. (Take it however you want…)
- McCown and Griffin both got picked off but, just like every year, if they ever see substantial playing time, the season is over because the Saints are either resting starters in week 17 or the unspeakable happened much earlier than that.
- Joe Morgan got hurt in what he called a “routine tackle” after the scrimmage via twitter. Fletcher Mackel promptly deleted his tweet which compared Saints receivers to insects and blamed Vaccaro for injuring his teammates.
- Travaris Cadet also confirmed via twitter after practice that he is fine and also blessed.
- Jared Fayson left the scrimmage early after getting a bobo on his hand.