Drew Brees said he and the New Orleans Saints have not yet discussed anything regarding his current contract.
Saints general manager Mickey Loomis told the media last month that things will be handled, and that Brees, who just turned 37 in January, will remain in New Orleans.
“Drew’s going to be our quarterback,” Loomis said in an interview a few weeks back. “We’ll figure out how we’re going to handle his contract, whether it stays the same and just remains right in place, or whether we do something different. That’s all part of what we’ve got to figure out in the next coming weeks.”
Drew Brees has one year remaining on his current contract, a deal reached in 2012 totaling $100M over five years. He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2016 season, unless he agrees to an extension with the Saints, which would relieve some of that cap stress and likely keep the star quarterback in the Crescent City for the remainder of his career.
Brees already said he’s absolutely open to extending his contract with New Orleans. However, he told ESPN on Thursday that the two parties have not yet discussed contract negotiations, according to Nola.com.
“If conversations are to be had, they haven’t happened yet,” Brees told ESPN. “But when they do, that will be between us, and then we’ll kind of announce that, and everybody will find out at the same time.”
Drew Brees also joined the Dan Patrick Show on Thursday and said he plans to finish his career down on the bayou. In his late 30’s and showing no significant signs of slowing down, Brees just led the league in passing yards for an NFL-record sixth time in addition to his 32 touchdown passes, a 101 passer rating, and a Saints-career low 11 interceptions.