“Not So Immaculate Reception” should bring NFL and officials back to negotiations quickly

1 of 2

Sept 24, 2012; Seattle, WA, USA; Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate (81) holds on to the game-winning touchdown as time expires against the Green Bay Packers at CenturyLink Field. Mandatory Credit: Joe Nicholson-US PRESSWIRE

After a controversial call last night on Monday Night Football that will rival the Tom Brady “Tuck Rule”, the “Not So Immaculate Reception” has set a social media fire that should bring the NFL and regular officials back to the negotiating table very quickly.

Of course, should is probably being generous.  In reality, the ongoing stalemate to bring the regular referees back to the game and replace the replacement officials will most likely go on.

While most of the griping about the replacement refs has been about a questionable pass interference call or after the whistle action, some recent events have pushed the urgency in getting an agreement done.

Last Monday night the game between the Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos turned into a trip to the dentist as the game was riddled with eyebrow raising calls, numerous delays, and a fight that turned the field into what looked like a rock concert with players swarming the field for at least five minutes until separated.

Sunday night, in a game between the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots, a last second field goal gave the Ravens a one-point victory.  The issue was that the field goal appeared to be no good since it sailed over the top of the uprights of the goalpost.

Last night, in a game between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, the Seahawks were awarded a victory off of a last second Hail Mary throw by quarterback Russell Wilson to wide receiver Golden Tate in the endzone.

The only problem was that it appeared at first that Packers safety M.D. Jennings intercepted the ball with Tate sticking a sole hand, then wrestling for the ball after Jennings established possession.  That was also by the way after a blatant push-off by Tate on an uncalled offensive pass interference.

A snap shot that has circulated since the game ended was of two replacement officials standing next to each other with one ruling a touchdown while the other signaling a touchback from the interception for the Packers.