Monday Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that this is a recommendation from the NFLPA, not an explicit order not to attend the draft. The source said the union plans to give the prospects the “same experience down the street.”
It will be the first time in NFL history that a player drafted first overall will not walk onto the stage at Radio City Music Hall as has been the custom. And the player will not be there to do interviews with ESPN or NFL Network. The draft will go on, but not in the manner in which it has been conducted before.
Even NFL analyst Herm Edwards weighs in on the move. As of right now, this is 100 percent happening,” one source familiar with the NFL Players Association’s thinking said earlier Monday. “This is going down.”
We plan to invite the 15-20 top prospects and their families to New York as we normally do for this once in a lifetime experience. And, as always, it is the decision of the players and their families as to whether they attend,” league spokesman Greg Aiello said in response to the report.
The NFLPA even has gone so far as to considering placing the players on another competing network to do post-pick interviews, though no final decisions have been made. Another source said that, in this day and age, it’s possible that the top prospects also could appear on a social media network platform only.