Here are some quick thoughts on the Saints 34-3 victory over the Oakland Raiders.
- If you haven’t heard by now, Drew Brees runs the Saints. When he is as accurate and as precise as he was today, the offense is unstoppable.
- Kudos to the defense for not allowing a mediocre offense look better than they were. Say what you want but the defense has turned in three solid performances in a row.
- New kicker, same issues. Rookie K Taylor Mehlhaff missed on a chip shot early in the contest then kicked the ball out of bounds on a kick off. He did come back and make his next two field goals so there may be hope.
- Bobby McCray made his presence felt. Two sacks and a forced fumble were encouraging key plays in the ball game.
- The Raiders are a mess. That team has a lot of issues they have to deal with. They have a bunch of talent but you wonder how they’re going to put it together.
- The NFC South is going to be highly competitive, to say the least. With the Falcons and Bucs (over the Panthers) staging impressive victories, the division looks the best it has ever been. The Panthers should have an extra chip on their shoulder next week when the Saints go into visit after the humbling they received today. The key division battles have begun.