Kyle Knox (6’1″ ILB) is quietly making a name for himself as a definite contributor for the New Orleans Saints.
Knox was originally signed by the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent after the 2012 NFL Draft. He was cut during final cuts, but was signed to the practice squad for the final two weeks of the 2012 NFL Season after which he was cut by the Seahawks. Knox was claimed off waivers by the Jacksonville Jaguars and played in four games until waived. He then picked up by the New Orleans Saints to the practice squad from which he was promoted prior to the playoff game with the Eagles to the regular squad where he played on defense and special teams.
He started on all four of the Saints’ special teams units in last week’s preseason opener at the St. Louis Rams. And he has spent most of the summer with the second-string defense, playing both outside and inside linebacker.
“Knox said he is eagerly accepting every role the coaches throw at him. After bouncing around from Seattle to Jacksonville to New Orleans since 2012, the former undrafted free agent out of Fresno State said any role is better than nothing.
“I’d rather be on the field and play any position, and I feel like I’m versatile enough. Whatever you need me to do, I’ll do it,” said Knox, who said he has never let himself get too frustrated, despite missing the 53-man cut in Seattle each of the past two summers and being released by Jacksonville after a four-game stint last year.
“I always try to stay positive,” Knox said. “It’s always a tough time when you don’t have a job. But I just stayed prayerful, and I just focused on what I wanted to do.”
Knox was mostly used as a pass-rush specialist by all three NFL teams. But the Saints have moved him inside this summer to the weakside linebacker spot, where he played in college.
Humber, whom Knox said he leans on for advice quite a bit, said Knox has a unique skill set because of his impressive speed — “he can fly” — and his long arms, which allow Knox to keep blockers at bay.
Personal: Born March 10, 1989, he is the only son of Scarlett Shorter and Joseph Knox. His favorite athlete is Shawn Merriman because he is a tough and physical player. He likes to play games, snowboard and go fishing. In high school, he was Athlete of the Year and Most Valuable lineman in high school. Majored in Communications in college.
Who Dat Warriors recently caught up with Kyle Knox to learn more about him
1. WDW Which living person inspires you the most and why? KK My mom inspires me the most. She always helps me stay focused on my goals and has been my anchor.
2. WDW Who taught you to never give up? KK I learned to never give up from my high school trainer– Andrew Jackson. He motivated me at a young age and always believed in me.
3. WDW What is your favorite movie? KK Favorite movie has to be Troy with Brad Pitt. I can watch that film over and over without it ever getting old.
4. WDW What are the first ten words of your favorite joke? KK Favorite joke is more of a riddle “What’s yours to own but everyone uses it?”
5. WDW What motto do you want your children to have? KK My motto is…tough, hard-nosed, aggressive, for as long as it takes to win leave no doubt.
WDW would like to thank Klye for his time during a busy preseason. If he has inspired you, tweet him @
Tags: Kyle Knox