Some latest figures on the New Orleans Saints salary cap are available, and given the fact that this team was roughly $14 million over the league’s salary cap estimate just two short months ago, it’s amazing at how general manager Mickey Loomis has worked things out to put together a formidable squad.
The latest figures, as per NFLPlayers, have the Saints under the league’s $133 million salary cap by nearly $3.6 million. For those who aren’t aware, this does include the current franchise tag tender for tight end Jimmy Graham, which counts for $7.035 million against the cap figures currently. The final estimates of Graham’s long-term deal will most assuredly make Graham the highest paid tight end in the NFL, but when the two parties reach the deal, it could free up some extra space for the Saints this season. This would be an even bigger help with the addition of all 2014 rookies.
Some glaring things from the salary cap figures from our good friends at Over the Cap:
- Jairus Byrd counts for $3.5 million against the cap this season, and it’s not a bad figure for a safety who was wanting $9 million per year.
- Champ Bailey counts for only $1.25 million against the salary cap.
- Brodrick Bunkley was originally a salary cap hit of $6.1 million, and that figure for 2014 is now $3.262 million.
- Pierre Thomas was set to count for $2.9 million, and is now $1.57 million.
- New fullback Erik Lorig has a cap hit of $1.05 million.
- Not tendering wide receiver Joe Morgan only cost the team $495K, a restricted tender would have commanded around $1.3 million.
- Right tackle Zach Strief has a salary cap hit of $2 million, which is actually down from last year by $575K
- Even though the Saints matched the Atlanta Falcons offer sheet for safety Rafael Bush, his salary cap figure only counts for $1.85 million.
If you aren’t a fan of Mickey Loomis, then you should be. The work put in by the Saints front office is tremendous.
Like Who Dat Dish? Follow us on Facebook
Tags: Brodrick Bunkley Champ Bailey Jairus Byrd Jimmy Graham Joe Morgan Mickey Loomis New Orleans Saints New Orleans Saints Free Agency New Orleans Saints Rumors & News New Orleans Saints Transactions NFL Salary Cap 2014 Pierre Thomas Rafael Bush Saints Salary Cap Sean Payton Zach Strief