The NFL and NFL Network have started naming its top 100 players from the 2012 season, so what better way to celebrate than to create our own NFL power rankings with names from the New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers?
That’s exactly what we did with the help of other NFC South editors from the Fansided network. Leo Howell from The Pewter Plank, Fansided’s Buccaneers blog, and Ken Dye from Cat Crave, Fansided’s Panthers blog, helped us out with the Top 13 players.
The following list was compiled after each editor entered his own rankings, the lists were combined to make an official tally. We picked 13 players because the division is 1/8 of the NFL as a whole, and 13 is 1/8 of a 100.
Let’s take a look.
- 1. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
- 2. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
- 3. Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons
- 4. Tony Gonzalez, Atlanta Falcons
- 5. Vincent Jackson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- 6. Darrelle Revis, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- 7. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers
- 8. tie: Steve Smith, Carolina Panthers and Roddy White, Atlanta Falcons
- 10. tie: Doug Martin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints
- 12. Luke Kuechly, Carolina Panthers
- 13. Charles Johnson, Carolina Panthers
- Honorable mention: William Moore, Atlanta Falcons; Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
There aren’t many surprises on the list. The NFC South is a very top-heavy division when it comes to quarterbacks and receivers. You’d be hard pressed to find a division more stacked with wide receiver talent.
It is a bit shocking to see most of the teams have an equal amount of players, besides the Saints of course. That’s what happens when you have the worst statistical defense in NFL history and only a few players on offense who stand out from the pack.
If you couldn’t tell from the rankings, the NFC South should be ultra-competitive in 2013. Obviously this is only a fraction of the rosters, but it goes to show how spread out the top talent in the division truly is.