The Saints have alot of work to do this off-season considreing the league high 27 free agents they must attempt to resign all in the midst of an expiring CBA agreement and uncertain future in the NFL with a potential lockout.
However the team took a big chunk out of their work to resign key players Tuesday when they tendered offers to ten players as well as agreeing to a one-year contract with free agent nose tackle Shaun Rogers.
It may all be vain however as the current CBA is set to expire March 3rd and the offers tendered to the ten playes are structured around the terms of the old agreement. If there is a lockout, and a new agreement cannot be reached, then players will not be able to resign contracts.
The ten players tendered and their level of compensation is as follows:
- SS Roman Harper, Likely 1st round tender plus 10% – 2.8M
- G Carl Nicks, 1st round tender – 2.6M
- RB Pierre Thomas, 2nd round tender – 1.8 to 2M
- T Jermon Bushrod, 2nd round tender – 1.8 to 2M
- WR Lance Moore, 2nd round tender – 1.8 to 2M
- DT Remi Ayodele. Likely 2nd round tender, 1.8 to 2M
- TE David Thomas, Likely 3rd round tender, 1.2M
- FS Usama Young, 3rd round tender – 1.2M
- DE Jeff Charleston. Likely 3rd round tender – 1.2M
- K Garrett Hartley, Adam Schefter reporting 5-year deal to be signed today (unconfirmed by Saints currently)
There are no real surprises here but the tenders do solidify the Saints desire to bring back running back Pierre Thomas next season, which has been a hot topic this off-season as several conflicting reports have surfaced stating that team would cut him and conversely keep him.
Thomas saw most of his 2010 season wiped away after suffering an ankle injury in week three against the Atlanta Falcons and also had to deal with rumors that he was nearly traded to the New England Patriots back in October.
In that same game against Atlanta kicker Garrett Hartley missed a potential game winning field goal that ultimately cost the Saints the number one seed in the NFC and an NFC South championship for the second consecutive year.
If the report stands true that he and the Saints have agreed to a five-year deal then it stands to reason the team believes his kicking problems are a thing of the past.
Topics: 2011 Restricted Free Agents, Carl Nicks, David Thomas, Garrett Hartley, Jeff Charleston, Jermon Bushrod, Lance Moore, New Orleans Saints, Pierre Thomas, Remi Ayodele, Roman Harper, Usama Young