The Saints finally got to work at defending their Super Bowl championship this week hitting the field for their first series of OTA’s.
Most players were in attendance even with OTA’s not being mandatory with exception to left tackle Jammal Brown and running back Pierre Thomas who are both holding out for new deals.
Brown’s future is clouded after multiple trade rumors surfaced during the draft and then the team selected USC LT Charles Brown in the second round, an ominous sign.
Jammal is certainly seeking a blockbuster deal to become the highest paid tackle in the NFL after developing into arguably the best tackle in the league over the last few seasons.
Thomas is reportedly seeking a new deal similar to that of St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson who signed a multi-year 49.3M contract extension in 2007.
New Orleans surely wants to keep Thomas in the mix as he has developed into a key component of the Saints offense but want him for the right price, not Steven Jackson money.
For now it looks like neither Brown nor Thomas will be getting a new deal anytime soon and it remains to be seen if either player will continue to hold out when OTA’s become mandatory.
Tight end Jeremy Shockey had a medical emergency when he went down in the Saints weight room with a seizure before being rushed to the hospital. By all accounts he is fine and has been released, no information has been given as to the cause of the attack.
With wide receivers Devery Henderson (Hernia) and Robert Meachem (Toe) limited with injury receivers Courtney Roby and Rod Harper have taken their spots and are running with the first team offense.
Both players are taking full advantage of the time drawing praise from head coach Sean Payton for their sticky hands and willingness to learn.
Although unlikely they will unseat Meachem or Henderson for their starting roles it should make for an interesting training camp battle.
On to the links…..
- The Times-Picayune coverage of the Saints on NOLA.com, click here to view all the stories.
- Florida Times Union has an article about the expectations on the Saints and their bid to repeat: NFL Confidential: New Orleans Saints welcome championship expectations
- Len Pasquarelli of ESPN gives his take on Pierre Thomas and his contract talks: Tip Sheet notes: Pierre too pricey?
- A little blurb from keyctv.com about the Saint-Viking twitter debacle: Vikings and Saints in Twitter war about Favre’s ankle.
- Fox8.com and sport director John Henry Smith’s notes from OTA’s: Blog: Smith’s observations from Saints practice
- The Canadian Press quotes Drew Brees: Brees says Saints have a ‘window’ for more success, must seize the opportunity
- NFLFanhouse.com has an article about A Joe Horn: Joe Horn Wants to Retire With Saints
- Dallasnews.com on Jerry Jones and his thoughts on the Saints Super bowl win: Jerry Jones: Saints’ title ‘one of the greatest things that have happened in the NFL’
- Playerpress.com reports on the overtime rule, sparked by the Saints win over the Vikings in the NFC Championship game: Regular Season Overtime to Remain Sudden Death
- Canadian Press again on linebacker Harry Coleman’s arrest: Saints LB Harry Coleman arrested by Chitimacha police on battery charge
- NESN.com: Report: Patriots Will Host Joint Preseason Practices With New Orleans Saints
- Thenewsstar.com examines the backup quarterback situation: Saints begin offseason training with backup QB questions